Monday, October 11, 2021

Kobe Bryant And The Evolution Of The Girl Dad!

It’s been almost 2 years since the world was brought to its knees by the loss of NBA superstar Kobe Bryant and his daughter, Gianna ‘Gigi’ Bryant in a tragic helicopter crash near Southern California that killed 9 people in total. They were on their way to a basketball tournament for Gigi and her friends. NBA preseason basketball just so happened to begin today. Although Kobe Bryant retired from playing basketball in 2016, he left more than just a basketball legacy. In my opinion, his biggest accomplishment was being a girl dad. Kobe Bryant was a girl dad and I know because I was raised by one too.

At the time of his death, Kobe was raising four daughters. He was quoted as saying, ‘Girls are the best…I would have five more girls if I could.’ Like Bryant, my Daddy considered himself a girl dad because I’m one of five girls. Kobe was a professional basketball player which meant that several times a month, he would be traveling out of town for games. Like Kobe, my father worked out of state when I was a young girl. He worked at the University of Tennessee as an Admissions Counselor during the week and would come home on the weekends. My father was also daddy to two boys who were really gifted in all of the sports they participated in. One of the boys, Julius, just so happens to be my twin. Even though my mother worked the night shift for most of my childhood, I remember both my parents being very engaged and interested in what I was doing at school.

After Kobe retired in 2016, he spent a lot of time taking Gigi to Lakers games. Kobe was a naturally comforting father. It came easy to him. Like my father, Kobe knew that in order to be there for the joyous times, he’d have to be there for the challenging ones as well. So many similarities between Kobe and my father. I’m almost positive that they were put on earth to raise daughters. My daddy sacrificed so much so I could be me! We have pictures and videos of Kobe and Gigi playing basketball and although there are lots of smiles, Gigi had the same tenacity as her dad. They shared a love of basketball. She had dreams of playing at The University of Connecticut and going on to play in the WNBA and carrying on her father’s legacy.

It’s safe to assume that Kobe envisioned watching Gigi go on to do just that, as well as support his other three daughters pursue their passions too. He and Gigi died together doing something that they loved; playing basketball. Kobe leaves a lasting legacy for girl dad’s and I cannot help but to reflect on my own father who will also. Just like Kobe is a legend and hero, my own father will always be that for me. The love I have for my own father mirrors that of Kobe and Gigi! May they both rest in eternal peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment