Monday, December 13, 2021

Remember To Breathe!

How To Survive The Holidays During A Pandemic!

Grammy award winning singer, Lalah Hathaway’s song, ‘Breathe’ has become a beacon of light for me since I first heard it. In 2011, I was on a Christmas vacation in Kansas City, Missouri with my family. At that time, my brother, Thomas was playing his final season in the NFL with the Kansas City Chiefs. We were on our way to the mall to Christmas shop and I just wasn’t quite feeling like myself. He put that song on and it was an instant mood booster. At that time in my life, I was carrying some unresolved grief and may have been suffering with slight seasonal depression. Now, whether I’m not feeling quite as confident or if I’m on cloud 9, ‘Breathe’ is my anthem. We MUST remember to breathe.


I think at times it’s hard to truly understand the trauma we have all endured since Covid came to America. We have been so totally knocked out of our routine. It is important to stay on a routine during this holiday season. I exercise as soon as I wake up in the morning. I shower and then have a light breakfast. I do this everyday. This routine helps my mental and physical health because I know its going to give me long term benefits. I also have noticed an extreme difference in my confidence level. It’s through the roof. I have increased energy, which shows up at work all day. 


If you are struggling with mental health concerns, be sure to ask for help during this holiday season. The use of alcohol usually rises during the holidays. Reach out to a sponsor or family and friends if you find yourself struggling with alcohol and drugs. This time last year, 47 million people reported mental health issues due to the death of loved ones, financial strain, not being able to buy gifts for kids, as well as foreclosures and evictions! Organizations and non profits are available to help buy kids toys for Christmas this year. 


A tip that I’ve found to be so necessary is to avoid social isolation during the holiday season. I have a large family but we also have cell phones for a reason. I have a weekly virtual meeting with my sister and her two kids and husband every Sunday after church. Since I haven’t been able to visit them in Florida since they were born due to the pandemic, I look forward to seeing them and watching them grow. 


Keep your holiday small. Plan a small family gathering like brunch or dinner for the holidays for family that has been vaccinated. At the moment, it’s imperative for you to be COVID tested if you are going to be around individuals who have not had the vaccine. You can still get COVID if you have been vaccinated. I have been laying low during this holiday season because I tested positive for COVID in January of this year! I have not had any symptoms since then. When I visit with family and friends, my circle is always very small. That is intentional.


I hope and pray for you to have a Bountiful and Blessed holiday season! Remember to use your best judgement and a lot of common sense. Happy Holidays!



No comments:

Post a Comment